- 1965: Prospecting of Limestone initiated through Geological Survey of India.
- 1970: Feasibility Study of a 300 TPD cement plant at Pugli commenced.
- 1974: Constitution of Penden Cement Authority.
- 1980: Setting up of 300 TPD cement plant commenced.
- 1981: Commercial production commenced. Entered Indian Cement Market as levied (controlled) item controlled under essential commodities by Cement Control.
- 1982: HRH Ashi Kesang Wangmo Wangchuck inaugurated Penden Cement Plant on February 5, 1982.
- 1983: Penden Cement achieves 107.9% capacity utilization in Clinker production.
- 1985: Penden Cement takes over the management of Penden Collieries. 2 Virtual Shaft Kilns(VSKs) of 50MTPD capacity each installed. Thus enhancing the installed clinker production to 400MT.
- 1986: Penden Cement takes over Shumar Gypsum Mines from Department of Industry. GOI declared Cement as a non-levied commodity under free sale.
- 1987: Penden Cement was connected to the National Power Grid – Department of Power (DoP) supply in March 29, 1987.
- 1988: Penden Cement initiated the project of planting trees within and the adjoining areas of its factory premises and mined out areas.
- 1989: Penden Cement incorporated under the Companies Act of the Kingdom of Bhutan as a Joint Sector Corporate Body, Penden Cement Authority Limited.
- 1991: Received DANIDA’s assistance on reduction in air pollution, Occupational Health and Safety Management (OHSM) started.
- 1992: Penden Collieries and Shumar Gypsum Mines was privatized. Established an Environment Cell to address the environmental issues and conduct monitoring of stack emission, ambient air quality, work environment air quality, and occupational safety and health aspects.
- 1993: Optimized plant capacity to 400 TPD with reduction in air pollution under DANIDA’s funding.
- 1994: Approval accorded by the board for capacity augmentation of the plant to 800 TPD. Penden Rock Project at Setikhare started. Penden Dolomite Project at Sunargaon initiated.
- 1995: Work on capacity augmentation started.
- 1996: Plant Capacity Augmented to 800 TPD. Clinker Storage Silo was set up, having a capacity of 10000 MT. Adoption of the new concept of Programmable Logic Control (PLC) philosophy. Installation of glass fabric Bag House for Pollution Control.
- 1998: PCAL conferred with “ARCH OF EUROPE AWARD” for Excellence and Quality. First PSC was ground in July 20, 1998.
- 1999: Launched the production of Portland Slag Cement (PSC). Bureau of Indian Standard Product Certification Awarded for OPC43, OPC33 grades and PSC.
- 2001: Project Work on Optimization from 800 TPD to 1000 TPD of Clinker production started.
- 2002:The optimized Clinker production of 1000 TPD was achieved in May, 2002. Upgradation of Programmable Logic Control (PLC) platform to next higher operating platform i.e. from CORAS to WINCC Operating System. Installation of new Gas Analyzers and better raw meal and coal feed control system. Penden Cement started operating Uttare Limestone Mines.
- 2003: PCAL awarded with ISO 9001: 2000 certification by Bureau of Indian Standard.
- 2004: Cement production augmented to 1650 TPD with launching of Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC) in the market. Cement Mill III was set up with a capacity of 22.5 TPH PSC and 30TPH OPC. Fly Ash Storage Silo was set up with a capacity of 750MT. New Packing Plant with 6 Spout Rotary Packer Machine was set up.
- 2005: Product Certification for PPC (Portland Pozzolana Cement) was awarded by Bureau of Indian Standard. Old Packing Plant upgraded from stationary Spout Packer Machine to 6 Spout Rotary Packer Machine.
- 2006: Completed 25 years of commercial production and Celebrated Silver Jubilee of the company on February 5, 2006.
- 2007: Recognized as the first firm in obtaining “Private Forest Ownership Certificate” in the district toward protection and conservation of the environment. Circular Stacker Reclaimer having a storage capacity of 21,000MT was set up for blending and homogenization of limestone of varying quality.
- 2008: Initiated additional limestone deposit prospecting through the expertise of DGM in and around Samtse district and Gelephu.
- 2009: Separate Fly Ash dosing line introduced for Cement Mill III for production of PPC from this Mill.
- 2010: PCAL awarded “THE PLATINUM TECHNOLOGY AWARD FOR QUALITY & BEST TRADE NAME” by OTHERWAYS INT’L RESEARCH & CONSULTANTS in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2011: PCAL has also led and constructed the Clock Tower in the middle of Gomtu Town to commemorate the Royal Wedding during 2011 with joint funding from the Lhaki Group of Companies.
- 2012: High quality limestone is being investigated in Dorokha and Denchukha areas located about 22-km crowfly distance north of Gomtu in an effort to prolong the life of your plant.
- 2013: In bringing growth and diversification through new product development, the company has developed new type of cement based on mineral dolomite and is branded as DoloCem. Strength, workability and durability related tests of this product are found positive and in conformity to Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
- 2014: A 9 feet brass make Jampayang (Manjushree) statue was constructed and successfully installed, in dedication to the 60th birth anniversary of HM the Fourth Druk Gyalpo, in collaboration with other industries and manufacturing companies, mining industries and local government authorities at the Queen’s Park, Gomtu. The total expenditure incurred toward installation of the statue was Nu. 4,150,000.00.
- 2016: Penden cement Authority limited received the ESQR’s (European Society for Quality Research) Award for best practices 2016 at ESQR’s Convention in Brussels, on June 4, 2016. PPC Plus, Penden Premium brand cement was launched in the Export market in the month of February, 2016.
- 2017: Adopted and implemented all phases of Bhutanese Financial Reporting Standards (BFRS).
- 2018: PCAL upgraded to ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Systems in the month of September 2018. Start of Restoration of Uttare Mines and Beema Bamboo plantation PPC Plus, Penden Premium brand cement was launched in the domestic market in the month of November 2018. Organizational development exercise was carried out. Technical audit of the plant was carried out by Siam Cement Group, Thailand. Detailed Project Report for the AAC blocks project carried out. Predictive maintenance programme was introduced.
- 2019: Carried out Limestone prospecting works at Danleng, Pangbang. Carried out re-assessment of limestone deposits at Pagli Mines, Kalapani Mines and Kharkhola area by DGM. Performance Management System was introduced at the Department and Individual levels. Implementation of the OD exercise carried out. Introduction of heads of departments at the level of Directors. Implementation of the AAC blocks project carried out.
- 2020 The chief Executive Officer, Mr. Tenzin been awarded/ recognized as the Cement Executive of the Year, Bhutan in the just announced International Cement Leaders Awards® 2020. The International Cement Leaders Awards® celebrate both professional and corporate achievement. The Cement Executive of the Year shines a spotlight on the impact of CEOs and Executives leading some of the most dynamic cement companies. The list also takes into account leaders who have shown exemplary mettle towards achieving market-share & brand leadership, successful execution of expansion projects and investments in social investment and environmental stewardship. Not forgetting an executive’s standing in the eyes of industry peers. Cement Executives of the Year is compiled using publicly available information.